This park is one of Nanaimo's larger destination parks popular especially in the summer as a fresh water swimming spot (no lifeguards on duty). It is also a dog walking destination as the trail around the upper dam is a designated dog off leash area- 6am to 10am and then again 4pm to dusk daily. There are some steep trails and narrow bridge crossings along the upper dam trail.
There are two parking lots one along Nanaimo Lakes road which will lead you directly out to a bridge between the two dams. The second is at bend in the road where Wakesiah becomes Sixth Street. The lot at Sixth and Wakesiah is the best location to park for those with mobility issues.
The Colliery Dams are a rare link with Nanaimo’s industrial heritage. Built in 1910-11 by the Western Fuel Company to supply water for coal washing and for use by miners, mules and horses in the mines, the water system quickly developed an important secondary use. Homes near the pipeline were allowed to tap the line for domestic uses and eventually this water was carried to most of the homes in South Harewood. - Information from the City of Nanaimo Website